And just what is this dog lover doing to celebrate her big 9-0 (in human years)? Spending it with her best friend, naturally.
“I’m going to sit back home with my Golden Retriever, Pontiac,” White said before the taping of her NBC birthday special that aired last night. “Usually I’ll try to play catch-up with all the things I never will catch up on. I may just do crossword puzzles and indulge myself and have a wonderful time with my dog.”
If you’re like us, you probably don’t need them, but here are five dog-lovin’ reasons to love Betty White:
5. Through the Morris Foundation, which she’s been involved with for more than 40 years, White has sponsored animal health studies that have resulted in major breakthroughs in animal pain management; information on genetic mutations that cause bone cancer in dogs; and using ultrasound to manage canine congestive heart failure.
4. As “America’s Favorite Pin-Up,” White posed with a bevy of beefcake-y hunks for a 2011 calendar that benefitted the Morris Foundation.
3. White is a supporter of spcaLA and its annual Mark and Brian KLOS Pet Adoption Day (so is i Love Dogs!).
2. After losing her dog Kita to canine cancer, White promoted the Orvis Cover Dog Photo Contest to raise money to eradicate this disease. More than $500,000 has been raised for the Canine Cancer Campaign, for which she is the spokeswoman.
1. As White mentioned, she’s spending her milestone birthday today with her pooch. How pawsome is that?
If you make a donation to Morris Animal Foundation in honor of White’s birthday, the organization will send her your birthday greeting.
PHOTO: David Shankbone