[X] Close

SEND YOUR QUESTIONS USING THE FORM BELOW

Valentine’s Day Dangers to Keep Away From Dogs

puppyAh Valentine’s Day, the one day a year when your house turns into a minefield of chocolate and flowery hazards for your dog. Most pet parents know chocolate is bad for their dogs, but even festive flowers should be kept away from pooches.

Here is the 4 (Paws)-1-1 on the hazards you should know about to keep your dog healthy on Cupid’s big day.

Chocolate

In HOW TO Treat Your Dog For Chocolate Toxicity on findavet.us, we note that
chocolate comes from the seeds of the fruit on cacao trees, and the seeds are loaded with theobromine and caffeine. Both extracts are extremely toxic elements for dogs as too much theobromine can cause your pooch to suffer tremors, seizures and even death.

Chocolate dog hazard

Chocolate is toxic to your dog depending on his size, the type of chocolate and the amount he ingests.

For example, suppose your Husky ingests a small cube of chocolate. While he may not experience any problems, a 4-pound Yorkie could have a severe reaction.

On the other hand, a large dog could still react to a small amount of chocolate for his size if he has a predisposition to becoming ill when ingesting theobromine.

If you’re not sure whether your dog has ingested chocolate but suspect he has, look for the following signs of chocolate toxicity, according to talktothevet.com:

  • Hyper-excitability
  • Hyper-irritability
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Muscle tremors
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures

We already established that chocolate is a big no-no for dogs, but chocolate-covered macadamia nuts is like a double whammy of bad. Plain walnuts and macadamia nuts can cause a toxic reaction called macadamia nut toxicosis.

Dogblogtimes.com says, “Within 12 hours of eating the nuts, dogs can start to develop symptoms such as an inability to stand, ataxia (walking wobbly), depression, vomiting, muscle tremors, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature), weakness and an elevated heart rate. Usually the symptoms go away within 48 hours but the weakness, vomiting and fear can lead to dangerous, and sometimes deadly, shock.”

If any of these symptoms occur, it’s important to take your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Roses

rosesAccording to SanDiegoPetsMagazine.com, if you happen to drop a vase of roses on the floor and your dog eats the petals, he is likely to suffer from gastrointestinal upset but not serious poisoning.

However, there is a big risk factor if your pooch decides to eat the thorns or is pricked by roses in the mouth or paws.

If you think your dog might’ve ingested some roses, here are the signs to look for:

  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Lack of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain or discomfort

Be sure to check your pooch’s paws and muzzle for any sign of trauma from thorns. If he has numerous thorns in his paws and may have ingested them, call your vet as soon as possible.

Food and Alcohol

champagne glassSo you might be avoiding the terrible wait times at a restaurant and making your valentine a meal with lots of food, cakes, cookies – the works!

But i Love Dogs’ Ask a Vet, Dr. Patrick Mahaney, notes that letting your pup partake in these goodies “can alter his normal feeding patterns and cause digestive imbalances. Additionally, keep all trash away from your dog’s snooping snout. There is potential for him to contract a life-threatening illness should he engage in some dietary indiscretion.”

While some dogs are drawn to cake, some like beer and other alcoholic drinks. If you’re serving champagne or any other alcohol during dinner, be sure your dog isn’t in the kitchen when you pop the cork, and keep all drinking glasses out of your dog’s reach.

Ingesting alcohol can make your dog seriously ill and can even lead to coma or death. If you think your pup has ingested alcohol, contact a local emergency animal hospital.

So if you don’t want things to be ruff on your dog’s stomach, be sure to keep all these hazards away from your dog.

PHOTOS: KalluAndré Karwath, Lennart Poettering, Bgvjpe

Amelia LeRutte

Amelia Lerutte is a public relations and social media expert, and a pack leader to a couple derpy Boston Terriers, a lovable Leonburger and a Keeshound. When not writing or promoting the i Love Dogs brand, Amelia is an avid NHL fan, ice hockey player and video gamer.

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:
TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterest

February 13, 2012 By : Category : DOG NEWS Tags:
| | | |

0 Comment Print

The Dog Park   

0 comments