[X] Close

SEND YOUR QUESTIONS USING THE FORM BELOW

These 7 Easter Treats Are Toxic for Dogs

dog and bunnyIf you love chocolate as much as you love dogs, Easter is probably one of your favorite times of the year.

But those yummy chocolate bunnies and eggs in your Easter basket are no treat for your pooch – in fact, they could make him very sick.

WebVet warns pet parents to keep their dogs away from these potentially poisonous Easter foods and décor.

1. Chocolate

The caffeine and theobromine in chocolate stimulates the nervous system. If your pooch eats too much of it, he can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, seizures and even death.

Be extra careful to keep dark and baking chocolate out of your dog’s reach, since they contain more theobromine and are especially toxic.

2. Plastic Easter Basket Grass

“The plastic component of Easter grass is non-digestible, and can get tangled in your animal’s intestines,” WebVet warns. “This can lead to a blockage and potential perforation. If ingested, the grass can cause choking or become lodged inside the stomach or intestines, creating an obstruction. Signs of obstruction are loss of appetite and vomiting.”

3. Jelly Beans and Other Candy

Popular Easter basket fillers like jelly beans, marshmallow chicks and malted-milk eggs can seriously upset your dog’s stomach if he eats them. Also be sure to keep sugarless gum and any candy containing the artificial sweetener Xylitol far away from your dog – it’s so poisonous that even if he only ingests a small amount, within 30 minutes his blood sugar could drop dramatically, he’ll begin vomiting and he may have difficulty standing or walking. In worst-case scenarios, Xylitol can cause seizures, internal hemorrhaging and liver failure.

4. Easter Eggs

When you’re hiding hard-boiled eggs for an Easter egg hunt, be sure to keep track of where you place them. Should your dog uncover an egg days, weeks or months (yuck!) later, he could get very sick if he eats it.

5. Candy Wrappers

Don’t be a litterbug – throw aluminum and plastic candy wrappers into a trash can that your dog can’t access. “Many pets (especially dogs and cats) are naturally drawn to the texture, bright colors and crinkly sounds wrappers make and often unintentionally consume them while playing,” WebVet notes. “Consumption of these items can cause intestinal disturbances and even an intestinal obstruction in your animal.”

6. Live Bunnies

While they’re not actually toxic for dogs, bunnies as Easter gifts are not a good idea. If you’re thinking about getting one, WebVet urges you to think again: “Rabbits are not toys, nor are they low-maintenance pets. They require the same level of care as a dog or cat and need plenty of room to play – and hop. While they can be cuddly and affectionate, they can also become easily frightened when held or confronted by other animals. Unfortunately, most rabbits purchased as Easter gifts end up either abandoned on the streets, which is a sure death sentence, or in shelters.”

7. Easter Lilies

If you also have cats in your household, be sure to keep them far away from Easter lilies, which can cause kidney damage and even death if your kitty ingests any part of the plant.

PHOTO: CrimsonC

Laura Goldman

Laura Goldman is senior social media writer for i Love Dogs, Inc. She does love dogs. And elephants and turtles. Along with writing about the loves of her life, Laura likes to play with her two pound pups and tell anyone who'll listen just how awesome Pit Bulls are.

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:
TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestYouTube

March 1, 2013 By : Category : Spring Dogs Wellness Tags:
| | | |

0 Comment Print

The Dog Park   

0 comments